Monday, April 30, 2012
Javier on the School-to-Prison Pipeline
This video and article addresses the school-to-prison pipeline, “a disturbing national trend wherein
children are funneled out of public schools and into the juvenile and criminal justice systems.”
The article by the ACLU highlights the problems and consequences of the youth control complex,
particularly the harshness of hyper-criminalization and its role in pushing students into prison.
The Young Turks video highlights the absurdity and unfairness of such policies in criminalizing all
forms of behaviors. As stated by Ana Kasparian from the Young Turks, “anything remotely weird
or suspicious is reported to the bomb squad,” highlighting how hyper-criminalization has led to
criminalizing everything. It is very alarming how a small prank can lead to the possibility of being
imprisoned for 8 years, let alone being arrested. As professor Musheno discussed in class the other
day, in his critique of Rio’s use of delinquent vs non-delinquent boys, youth are naturally prone
to “fun” or “deviant” activity. Also as stated by Cenk Uygur from the Young Turks, “it is not only
the punishment that is upsetting but it’s the fact that we are taking all the fun out of high school.”
It is important to note that such severe zero-tolerance policies not only are harshly implemented
on those engaged in truly criminal activity but also on the innocent or law-abiding youth. Even the
most innocent of youth are becoming criminalized and stigmatized because of these zero-tolerance
policies. This is like racial profiling, which not only severely effects the guilty but also severely affects
the innocent who are also harassed, victimized, and stigmatized.
The ACLU states that “most current [zero-tolerance] policies eliminate the common sense that
comes with discretion and, at great cost to society and to children and families, do little to improve
school safety.” Zero-tolerance one-size-fits-all solutions eliminates the possibility of common sense
discretion or street smart as discussed in Cops, Teachers, Counselors. The solution to everything
is becoming punishment. Aggressive policing such as zero-tolerance and stop&frisk clearly, as
discussed in the video, threatens procedural justice and consequently undermines legitimacy. The
Young Turks express the disaffection of such policies by calling them down right stupid. It is evident
that police-citizen relations will continue to diminish if such unfairness continues to be exposed
beyond marginalized communities who bear the biggest brunt.
It is sad that more resources are being allocated away from education towards increased surveillance
which ironically does not increase safety. As discussed in Punished and in the ACLU article,
educational institutions are becoming more coupled with criminal justice institutions which pull
public funding away from nurturing educational programs towards inefficient and punitive criminal
justice programs. School’s become prison replicas that are surveilled by officers with little experience
in dealing with kids. Rather than allocate resources to youth support complexes to guide youth out
of marginalization, they are allocated towards increased surveillance. This is similar to the welfare
system, in which resources are allocated to expand surveillance rather than to help recipients become
independent. Likewise, they are punished for any deviation from the rules.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I recently took Wealth and Poverty and the professor actually mentioned something that reminded me of this article. He said that there were three types of schools. The "custodial" school especially relates here. Basically the "custodial" school is aimed at lower-income neighborhoods and they are designed not to necessarily teach kids how to excel academically, but mainly keep them off the streets. Learning and doing well are more of a side benefit. I think that's why these zero-tolerance policies are becoming so popular. They have been adapted from the criminal justice system and adopted into the school system, because these policies are used to keep criminals in jail or prison.
ReplyDeleteI think in Eldorado, this may not be as much of an issue since there is only one public high school in which all families, regardless of their socio-economic status can go to. However, wealthier families can opt out of the public school system and send their kids to private schools, which leaves this public school vulnerable to becoming "custodial."
-H.Hui
Considering my personal experiences with strict enforcement of zero-tolerance policies, this does not surprise me. I grew up in a very white dominated, upper-middle class suburban city in Orange County, where zero-tolerance was very strictly enforced. When I was 7 years old, a few friends and I decided to reenact made up scenarios from a popular video game at the time .(Goldeneye 007) Before recess, we were playing with some toys in a classroom, where I stumbled upon some Lego's, and realized that building a model that very loosely resembled a gun would be infinitely cooler than just pretending the air in front of me was a gun. So, I built it. Unbeknown to me, some weird concept called a "zero-tolerance" policy was in place, and the mere fact that my model resembled a gun was enough to have every single teacher on the playground completely freak out, detain me, gather up all the kids and bring them inside the classroom, and then escort me to the principle's office, while calling in law enforcement to make sure everything was okay. There, I got let off lightly with a 3 day suspension, and promises that if I ever did it again, I would be expelled and unable to attend any other school in the district.
ReplyDeleteTo me, this seemed like very normal behavior that I engaged in every day after school with my neighbors, so you can imagine the shock it had on me when I was punished for this. Over the next few years, a few other kids were caught violating the "zero-tolerance" policy under similar grounds, all of them were expelled. Suspiciously, all of them were also either Black or Latino. I can't imagine they had much more knowledge of the "zero-tolerance" policy than I did when I violated it, so it makes me wonder to what extent race played a role in their fate.
Considering this, I am not terribly surprised by the blatant overreaction in the video above. Kids will be kids, and police will be police, whether they are teachers or the SWAT team. Its the circumstances around the action that ultimately make the difference, both in enforcement and punishment.
C. Riley